The Unified 2 firmware is an easy to use firmware from us here at TH3D to make setting up your machine, upgrading it, and adding on upgrades easier for the average person.
What is the Unified 2 Firmware?
What is it built on?
The Unified 2 Firmware is built on Marlin 2.0. We keep it updated with the latest stable version of Marlin 2.0 that we've qualified in house. While Marlin is a great firmware (we love it) there can be bugs in the latest "bleeding edge" versions. We test it all in house and stick with the latest version that we've personally vetted to work well. Once we've had time to test and make sure a new version of Marlin 2.0 is stable we'll update the version for our firmware. If an issue that is dangerous with the firmware ever happens we will expedite the testing, update our releases, and notify everyone.
How do I know what version of Marlin 2.0 is in use?
You can look at our commit logs on the GitHub for the Unified 2 Firmware. When we update to a new base of the Marlin 2.0 files we will make a note in the commit when the files are updated.
What if the printer and/or board combination I have is not supported?
Since we focus mainly on the printers and their factory control boards you will not find other brands of aftermarket boards supported by our firmware. You can always use "vanilla" Marlin for your particular machine/board combination.
Why are some cosmetic features (like bootscreen or menu items) disabled?
Some boards have limited program memory space. In order to fit as many features on the board we sometimes will remove un-necessary things like a bootscreen, animations, info menus, or other things to give you more actual features on the board. Boards that are limited are the older 1284p based ones and STM32 ones with the 256K flash (like the SKR E3 Mini).
While we try to make all features for all boards consistent sometimes certain boards simply do not have the space. This list is a general list of what features are preconfigured for all boards and not exhaustive.
- Automatic Probe Point Setup
- Bed Leveling Assistant (4 Corners) for users not using ABL
- BL Touch Support*
- Customize your printer name
- Custom EStep Option and Motor Reverse for Extruders
- E3D V6/Volcano Hotend Support
- EZOut Kit Support on Most boards/printers
- Hotend PID regulation
- Hotend and Bed Thermal Runaway Protection
- Home offset tuning
- Individual Axis Homing
- Instant BabyStepping for Z Axis
- Keenovo Thermistor Support for Heated Bed (when used with SSR)
- M48 Probe Test for testing your ABL probes
- Manual Print Timer Support (M73 GCode)
- Manual Mesh Leveling Support (for users without EZABL)
- No volumetric extrusion to prevent issues
- PID Autotune menu
- SD Printing Power Resume
- Preheat for ABS & PLA
- Slow or Fast Probe Option (Test Printer with M48 if using fast, some cannot handle it)
- TH3D Bootscreen
* The BL Touch settings and configuration are provided in the firmware so you can use a BL Touch sensor with our firmware. TH3D Tech Support will not provide technical support for BL Touch users. If you need technical support with an ABL probe our EZABL comes with technical support with it when using this firmware.